Author Topic: Machinery Warrior  (Read 9873 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Machinery Warrior
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
Machinery Warrior

”I'm Wodan Ymir.
The Sword of Magnus.
There's nothing I cannot cut!”

-Wodan Ymir, Machinery Warrior

In the depths of the Earth Cradle, one of the main mecha research centers and a veritable fortress, a new miraculous technology was developed. Self-replicating, self-regenerating and self-evolving nanomachines that could greatly improve any mecha they were applied to-and even their pilots. This technology was baptized Machine Cells.

Alas, soon enough it became clear the power granted by Machine Cells was not whitout price. Prolongued exposure to the machine soon infects the pilot with delusional feelings of invincibility and megalomania, plus extreme stress on the body. In the case of lesser beings, a messy death soon follows in a matter of months, weeks, or even days. In the case of those who don't succumb too soon, even if the Machine Cells grant them great power  and resilience, seeking to face multiple armies head-on is still a plea for death.

Some theorize that given some centuries of “incubation”, a Machinery Warrior could become a veritable demigod as his Machine Cells keep improving him, but that's nothing more than a theoretical thesis. What's the chance such a pilot could stay put for so much time?

BECOMING A MACHINERY WARRIOR
This path is taken both by Real Pilots seeking to expand their machine's resilience and Super Pilots seeking to refine their mechas.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
-Bab 10+ 
-Must have his own mecha.
-Must have secured a source of Machine Cells.

Class Skills
 The 's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Apraise, Bluff,  Balance, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Listen, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim
Skills Points at Each  Level : 2+ Int mod

Hit Dice: d12

Level
Base
Attack Bonus
Fort
Save
Ref
Save
Will
Save

Special
1st+1+2+0+2Self-Regenerating I , Spirit On the Machinery
2nd+2+3+0+3 Machine Cell Maneuver
3rd+3+4+1+3You Cannot Stop Me, Self-Regenerating II
4th+4+4+1+4Machine Cell Maneuver, Machine Cell Stance
5th+5+4+1+4 Self-Regenerating III, Spirit On the Machinery, Machine Cell Might
6th+6+5+2+5Machinery Cannot be Stopped, Machine Cell Maneuver
7th+7+5+2+5Adaptative Machine Cell,  Self-Regenerating IV
8th+8+6+2+6Flawless Frame, Machine Cell Maneuver
9th+9+6+3+6Advanced Machine Cell Might, Self-Regenerating V, Spirit On the Machinery
10th+10+7+3+7Eternal Machinery, Machine Cell Maneuver, Machine Cell Stance

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Machinery Warrior doesn't gain any new Proficiencies.

Machine Cells: At first level the Machinery Warrior picks a mecha he has acess to. It gains the following benefits
-DR and Natural Armor increases by 1 for every Machinery Warrior level.
-HP increases by 25 for every Machinery Warrior level.
-Energy increases by 5 for every Machinery Warrior level.
-Saves bonus increases by 1 plus 1/3 Machinery Warrior levels.

Machinery Weapons: At first level pick two in-built weapons from the Mecha chosen for Machine Cells (a set of Twin-linked weapons counts as one weapon for this). The Machinery Warrior gains an enanchment bonus on attack and damage rolls with those two weapons equal to his Machinery Warrior level, up to +10.

Spirit On the Machinery: Each level of Machinery Warrior increases the maximum number of spirit points of the character by 4. In addition the character learns one spirit at levels 1, 5 and 9. Those Spirits only cost half the normal amount of spirit to use, or subtract 2 * Machinery Warrior level + 1 * other levels from the SP cost, whichever discount is smaller.

Self-Regenerating: The Machinery Warrior's mecha gains the Regeneration and Reactor I property, that increases an extra 1 at levels 3, 5, 7 and 9. This doesn't stack with Nanomachines or Reactor gained from other sources. The Machinery Warrior himself also gains the same grade of Nanomachines. However, the Machinery Warrior can no longer gain health or energy from any external source (including accessories, potions, and magic) nor from any spirits, including their own. He may still gain healing and energy from any racial ability, feat, class feature, or anything inherent to the Machinery Warrior or his mecha.

You Cannot Stop Me: At 3rd level 1/hour when the Machinery Warrior or his mecha would lose HP that would reduce them below 50% of their own maximum HP (excluding temporary hitpoints), they may lose only enough HP to bring themselves to only 50% of their maximum HP instead. Any further damage from the same source that triggered this is ignored until the start of your next turn.

Machine Cell Maneuver: At levels 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 the Machinery Warrior learns a new Maneuver from a school they already know, needing to meet all prerequisites. You may use your Bab+Machinery Warrior level instead of Pilot level for purposes of determining that Maneuver's effects (but not learning them), and increase any of their DCs by an amount equal to 1/2 your Machinery Warrior level. Notice Machinery Warrior levels don't fully increase Pilot level.

Machine Cell Stance: At levels 4 and 10 the Machinery Warrior learns a new Stance from a school they already knew, needing to meet all prerequisites. You may use your Bab+Machinery Warrior level instead of Pilot level for purposes of determining that Maneuver's effects (but not learning them), and increase any of their DCs by an amount equal to1/2 your Machinery Warrior level. Notice Machinery Warrior levels don't fully increase Pilot level.

Machine Cell Might: At 5th level the Machinery Warrior gains +2 to an Ability Score of his choice as the Machine Cells augment their body.

Machinery Cannot be Stopped: at level 6 1/hour when the Machinery Warrior or his mecha would lose HP that would reduce them below 75% or 25% of their own maximum HP (excluding temporary hitpoints), they may lose only enough HP to bring themselves to only 75% or 25% of their own maximum HP instead respectively. Any further damage from the same source that triggered this is ignored until the start of your next turn.

Adaptative Machine Cell: At 7th level as a swift action the Machinery Warrior can double its Mecha movement speeds, its ranged weapon's range or its melee reach. This bonus lasts until this ability is activated again.

Flawless Frame: At 8th level both the Machinery Warrior and his mecha become fully immune to critical hits, diseases and poisons.

Advanced Machine Cell Might: At 9th level the Machinery Warrior gains +2 to two diferent ability scores of his choice. You cannot pick the same ability score than in Machine Cell Might.

Eternal Machinery: At 10th level the Machinery Warrior stops aging, and will never die of old age. In addition his mecha isn't automatically destroyed when it reaches 0 HP, but instead is just limited to one move or standard action per round. If he chooses to use a standard action while on negative HP, then he deals damage to himself equal to 1/2 its max HP, bypassing any and all of his own defenses (there's just how much Machine Cells can keep up with). The mecha is only fully destroyed if reduced to negative HP equal to its Max HP, and during that Nanomachines keep working (altough the Machinery Warrior himself cannot take actions). In addition once per day if his mecha would be destroyed, he can choose to don't eject. If he does so, his mecha will raise again at full HP, energy and ammo at the start of the next round.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:06:18 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery Warrior
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:48:06 PM »
It is interesting.
Feels like Super Pilot levels trading their pilot feats, favored maneuvers, half their maneuvers known and half the spirit points and the ability to get better arsenal equipment for +2 to three stats, the ability to use free spirits when getting pummeled, Adaptive Machine Cells, a few immunities and the equivalent of about 10 extra upgrade points over what the Super Pilot would get by spending them to acquire more or less the same stuff but without freedom on how they are spent and at which rate he acquires the Reactor and Nanomachine abilities though the pilot also getting them is a nice tough (for when he's out of the mech for some reason).
Sucks for them if they already had acquired them pre-level 10. Might be more interesting to have it stack with them instead and just refund the upgrade point cost when they are acquired so that a character desiring them asap doesn't have to wait in the prestige class specializing in it when he could get them faster by just being a super pilot.

It might be a better tank than what the Super Pilot can accomplish but I wouldn't bet on it.
Overall I think it might be on par with or weaker than the Super Pilot.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »
In the depths of the Earth Craddle, one of the main mecha research centers and a veritable fortress, a new miracoulous technology was developed.

You want Cradle and Miraculous there.

Does this give Upgrade Points as a Super Pilot would, if using a Super Robot, or not?

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
It doesn't.
It as if they were auto-spent in Battery, a special version of Plating that grants more HP and natural armour instead of DR and on nanomachines and mysterious power.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
It's good that it doesn't seem like an autopick over the Super Robot. I didn't want to invalidate the base classes.

Fixed typos.

Also notice Machinery Warrior levels are still granting half Pilot levels, so if you were a Super Pilot before, you'll still get some extra stat bumps (+50 HP, +50 energy, +5 DR and +1 saves over the 10 machinery warrior levels increasing your pilot level by 5).

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
I noticed that it notices twice that it doesn't fully increase pilot level, but failed to find a notification that indicates that it increases it and by how much.
Where does it say it increases them by 0.5 at each level?

And what does these pilot levels include, especially to a real pilot? The moon vanguard mentions that its pilot level determines how it gains upgrades, real robot access and arsenal access but this one feels like it isn't intended to.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »
Go read the super robots multiclassing more carefully.

A real pilot would only benefit for maneuvers purposes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:21:38 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
If it uses those rules then it doesn't gain +50 HP, +50 energy, +5 DR and +1 saves over the 10 machinery warrior levels.
The clause for base mecha stats increases in multiclassing is only for Super pilot levels giving +9 hp, +1 DR and +9 energy per Super Robot Pilot level to real robots, so it isn't included in the "for other abilities". Otherwise the other specific clauses would also be void in the case of non-real and non super pilot levels granting half pilot levels.
Which would be ridiculous.

Its also weaker than I thought because I realize now that those 5 extra maneuvers are also learned under a non-martial progression.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 05:09:25 AM »
Both pilot classes specify in the maneuvers section that their pilot level is equal to their own level plus half other levels.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
I know. But half pilot levels from other classes still do not increase these statistics.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
The Pilots learn new maneuvers based on PL. Thus the Machinery Warrior will keep advancing the martial progression, just slower, up to 8th level maneuver/stance at 10th level, assuming you took 10 levels of Super/Real pilot before.

As for the super robot, here's the relevant text:
HP: 10  per pilot level.
DR: 1 per pilot level.
Save bonus: 1/3 pilot level, rounded down.
Nat Armor: 2 by default
Energy:10 per pilot level
Dodge: 0 by default
Arsenal space: 0 by default, a super robot of 4th level of higher automatically gains an arsenal space of 50.
Speed: 30 mu by default
Weapons: All super robots have two in-built melee weapons dealing 1d6+Str mod damage each. Those are usually reinforced fists but could as well be claws, rectratable blades or whatever the player likes more.
Size:medium by default

As you see, several super robot statistics depend on Pilot Level. That in turn is increased by other classes at half rate.

A multiclass real/super on the other hand can go for a real robot that gets super upgrades plus increased statistics. The clause is there because it isn't an actual super robot, and thus doesn't follow the base statistics for super robots.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »
That is what I meant by non martial progression. It progresses at the same rate as anything else.

otherwise:
A multiclass Real/Super Pilot can pick a Real Robot to which he has acess, and then apply Super Robot upgrades to it. Count only Super Pilot levels for checking which upgrades are available.

For Arsenal acess Purposes, add together the Real Pilot level and Super Pilot Level-3 (minimum equal to Real Pilot level)

Also add to the Real Robot +9 HP, +1 DR and +9 energy per Super Robot Pilot level, and +1 to saves for every 3 SRP level.

For determining Pilot level for other abilities, count full class level plus half the other levels for purposes of that class. So for example a Super 8/Real 4 would count as having PL 10 for other Super ability purposes and PL 6 for other Real ability purposes.
So let's say that the base stat improvements counts as the other abilities since its for the purpose of adding them to a real robot.
Your reading works but creates an imbalance. If non-super pilot levels grant half the benefits, then a multiclass real/super pilot would get (+9 HP, +1 DR and +9 energy per Super Robot Pilot level, and +1 to saves for every 3 SRP level) per super pilot level and the (+10 HP, +1 DR, + 1/3 to saves and +10 energy) for every two real pilot level.
Which means a real pilot has too much to gain by getting a single level of super pilot, while a super pilot has about nothing to gain from getting a real pilot level.
If multiclass characters didn't progress the super pilot bases stats, both classes would be even.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »
I'll repeat myself. The hybrid you can choose to get when you multiclass real/super robot counts as a real robot base. Says right there. It thus doesn't benefit from the base super robot progression, because, once more, it isn't actually a super robot. It's not my "reading", it's how it's written - add to the Real Robot. Not add to the super robot. I don't get how you're making so much confusion when everybody else that had checked the real and super pilots had got it right away.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »
I got the intent but wanted to make sure the information was clear. I missed the clarification that a multiclass' mecha didn't count as a super robot as well. Sorry.

That, however, creates a clunky mechanic.
A real pilot 1/super pilot 1/other class 18 would get less mecha stat increases than if he hadn't taken a real pilot level.
The example is meant to be the worst case scenario but it's to give an idea. It doesn't fix the fact multiclassing in real pilot sucks compared to super pilot. By itself, it's fine.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
Fine, base super robot statistics are now tied to super pilot level only.

Buffed up the Machinery Warrior numbers all around, more HP, more energy, maneuvers learned may be lower level, but they now gain upwards to +5 DC and can be used with 30 Pilot level at character level 20.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 02:40:01 AM »
I'd have to look more into maneuvers' IL to tell whether that's too much or good enough so I'll go with you on that one. Cool with the changes.

What about the regen/reactor effects? If they can't stack, could they give upgrade point refunds for those invested in nanomachine when they get them?
The nanomachines effect is one of the great upgrades and not picking them at all until level 11 just so they don't become wasted upgrade points when they enter that PrC is bad enough to discourage one to consider it unless it begins the campaign with at a high enough level, so they don't have to consider investing in nanos at all. This is mostly meaningful for the nanos considering reactor has an arsenal equivalent that can be changed.
A super robot could get nanomachines 4 at level 4. If the pilot then enters this PrC, he could get 1 UP back at Machine Warrior 1, 2 UP refund at MW 3, 3 UP refund at MW 5 and 4 UP refund at MW 7. Investing them as soon as they are acquired. Acquiring them at a higher pilot level shouldn't be an issue considering they had to have one high enough to get them to begin with. That way although it doesn't stack their mecha can still have the higher regeneration until they get it through the class abilities without wasting UPs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:43:47 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 04:28:14 AM »
Machine Cells don't like other nanomachines. The most sucessful Machinery Warriors are those that didn't have any before.

Plus, it's a reason for players to don't try to squeeze in mecha Regeneration by any means necessary as early as possible.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 05:47:01 AM »
That would be why they wouldn't stack.

Sounds more like a reason for players to not take the prestige class since their mecha regeneration is as good at level 4 as what the prestige class that specializes in it gets at level 17.
Not that it is an obstacle to my situation. At least others could get around that around that issue by getting their mecha destroyed on purpose to do the redeeming quest and get a replacement with more properly spent upgrade points. But their new regeneration would be inferior for a while.  :evillaugh
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:48:42 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 06:00:19 AM »
Again, if all you care is regenerationregenerationreregeneration ASAP then by all means spend your upgrade points right away on it and don't pick this.

That would be why they wouldn't stack.

Sounds more like a reason for players to not take the prestige class since their mecha regeneration is as good at level 4 as what the prestige class that specializes in it gets at level 17.
O'rrly?

A super robot 4 has, at best, 60 HP (you spent all your upgrade points at 4th level so can't buy the 5th plating). Recovers 40% of HP, aka 24 HP per round.

A super robot 10/Machinery warrior 7 will have  roughly 325 HP. Recovering 40%, that results in  130 HP recovered every round. That's almost four times the amount of the level 4 super robot.

And then at 9th Machinery Warrior level they get Regeneration V.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 06:16:54 AM »
It doesn't affect me. I don't care. Just wanted to mention what I feel is an unnecessary situational handicap that goes against the premise of the Prc; "You want a great regeneration? Don't get any."

I'm comparing the regeneration ability only. The amount of health regenerated depends on how useful it is by level and the point I tried to make was that it was possible to get that far much earlier than this PrC. If you're going to compare a level 17 character's robot health point regenerated to a 4th level robot, then your comparison is of little value.

It was a concern. If you really don't mind it, then by all means keep it as such.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:18:25 AM by Anomander »