Author Topic: Mob template  (Read 2838 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Mob template
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
I wanted to create a mob template to be able to handle varying sizes of monsters. Right now, this is fairly quick and dirty, and only accommodates medium-sized creatures. With a bit more work, I could probably allow other sizes in as well. The CRs might be a bit off too, but tell me what you think:

Creating a Mob

A mob is a template that can be applied to a group of humanoids of the same type, treating them as one more powerful creature. This is very similar to the swarm type in many ways. There are different sized mobs. The larger the mob is, the more formidable the stats are.

Size and Type:
The type of the creatures stays the same, although the size of the mob is based on the number of creatures in it:
Number of creatures   Size
5                     10x10 (large)
10                    15x15 (huge)
20                    20x20 (gargantuan)
40                    30x30 (colossal)

Hit Dice:
The multiply the base creature’s hit dice by the number of creatures on the mob.

Speed:
Creatures tend to move more slowly in large groups. Reduce the movement rate of the base creature by 10 feet, but not to lower than half their original base speed.

Armor Class:
Same as the base creature except modified based on the new size.

Attack:
Mobs deal damage based on their size. Multiply the base creature’s damage by the damage multiplier listed below. Add in the creature’s Strength modifier to damage, but to not allow extra sources of damage like Power Attack to be used. All creatures affected by these attacks may make a Reflex save to take half damage. The DC is also based on the mob’s size. Depending on the attack, the DC is Strength or Dexterity-based.

Number of creatures   Damage Multiplier   Reflex Save DC
5                     X2                  12 + ability mod
10                    X3                  14 + ability mod
20                    X4                  17 + ability mod
40                    X5                  21 + ability mod

Mobs gain several attacks:

Mob attack: As a standard action, the mod can attack anyone in its space. The Reflex DC is Strength-based.

Targeted Volley: As a standard action, the mob can make a range attack against a single target. The Reflex DC is Dexterity-based.

Area Volley: As a standard action, the mob can make a range attack against everyone within an area the same size as the mod. Everyone only takes damage equal to the base creature’s damage instead of multiplied. The Reflex DC is Dexterity-based.

Grapple: The mob can grapple anyone in their area. Treat the grapple modifier as the base creature’s, modified for the mob’s size, and with a +4 circumstance modifier for extra creatures being able to help. If the mob wins the grapple check, the opponent takes unarmed damage modified by the damage multiplier.

Special Qualities:

Disperse: If the mob takes enough damage in one round to bring it to zero or lower hit points, all of the creatures in it are killed. If at the start of the mob’s turn, it is below or at half its maximum hit points, it disperses into the next size smaller mob, keeping its current hit points. If a five-person mob is reduced to half or few hit points, it disperses into two creatures of the base type.

Immunities and resistances: Mobs are immune to ability damage and drain. Any condition applied must be applied to at least 50% of the mob’s area to affect the mob. For example: Touch of Fatigue would have no effect, but Waves of Fatigue would, if it affects at least 50% of the mob’s squares. Any single-target energy draining effect can only inflict a maximum number of negative levels as the base creature’s Hit Dice each time. For example, each casting of Enervation can only bestow one negative level on a mob of orcs. Against a mob of gnolls, each could bestow up to two negative levels.

Abilities:
Same as base creature.

Saving Throws:
As base creature, modified by the mob’s size:
Number of creatures   Save bonus
5                     +2
10                    +4
20                    +6
40                    +8

Skills:
As base creature.

Feats:
As base creature.

Challenge Rating:
Modified from base creature based on the mob’s size:
Number of creatures   Challenge Rating
5                     +2
10                    +4
20                    +5   
40                    +6

Sample Creature: Mob of 10 Orcs

Size/Type              Huge Humanoid (orc)
Hit Dice:              10d8+10 (55 hp)
Initiative:            +0
Speed:                 20 ft.
Armor Class:           11 (+3 studded leather armor, -2 size)
Base Attack/Grapple:   +1/+16
Attack:                -
Full Attack:           -
Space/Reach:           15 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks:       Mob attack, 6d4+12 (DC 17); Targeted volley, 3d6+9 (DC 14); Area volley, 1d6+3 (DC 14)
Special Qualities:     Disperse, Immunities and resistances
Saves:                 Fort +7, Ref + 4, Will +2
Abilities:             Str 17, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 6
Skills:                Listen +1, Spot +1
Feats:                 Alertness
Challenge Rating:      5

Combat:

Mob attack: As a standard action, the mod can attack anyone in its space, dealing 6d4+12 damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 17) halves the damage.

Targeted Volley: As a standard action, the mob can make a range attack against a single target, dealing 3d6+9 damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 14) halves the damage.

Area Volley: As a standard action, the mob can make a range attack against everyone within a 15x15 foot area, dealing 1d6+3 damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 14) halves the damage.

Disperse: If the mob takes enough damage in one round to bring it to zero or lower hit points, all of the creatures in it are killed. If at the start of the mob’s turn, it is below or at half its maximum hit points, it disperses into a mob of five orcs, keeping its current hit points.

Immunities and resistances: Mobs are immune to ability damage and drain. Any condition applied must be applied to at least 50% of the mob’s area to affect the mob. For example: Touch of Fatigue would have no effect, but Waves of Fatigue would, if it affects at least 50% of the mob’s squares. Any single-target energy draining effect can only inflict a maximum number of negative levels as the base creature’s Hit Dice each time. For example, each casting of Enervation can only bestow one negative level on a mob of orcs. Against a mob of gnolls, each could bestow up to two negative levels.

My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
Re: Mob template
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
I think you could avoid the medium only problem.  Shouldn't be too difficult.  Something like have the size be based on the are the creatures take up.  A mob would be what, double the normally allowed number of creatures in an area?  That should take care of it.  If you still base the DCs and HD off of the number of creatures, this has the side effect of making Fine mobs much, much more dangerous (a mob of Huge creatures can fit a couple Huge into a Colossal, but in that same area you can fit a lot more Mediums, and Fines are just crazy).  Not sure how to fix that, or if it needs fixing, or if it's a good idea.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
Well, I'd base the size of the mob off of the size of the base creature. So a large mob of 5 creatures should be about 4x4. Ten should be 6x6. Twenty should be 8x8. I'm fine with capping the mob size at colossal, even if it keeps getting bigger. You can only be hit or grappled by so many at a time.

Two things I thought about since yesterday:

1) I should put a note in about damage reduction. If you have DR and are hit by a mob, you should multiply your DR by the damage multiplier. So, if you have DR 5/magic and are hit by an orc javelin for 1d6+3 (average of 6.5 damage), you'd take 1.5 on average (sort of, not counting being capped at 0 damage). So, if you are hit by three, you'd expect to get hit for an average of 4.5 damage (1.5 x 3). Likewise, if you are hit by a mob of 10 orcs for 3d6+9 (average of 19.5) and apply triple your DR for 15, you take 4.5 on average.

I think it's fair since you're technically getting hit by many little attacks.

2) I was thinking of making rules about having mobs split into smaller ones voluntarily for various reasons, but I realized the damage is all messed up. For example, if you're in ranged combat, a mob of 10 orcs deals 3x base damage; however, if they split into two mobs of 5, each deals x2 damage. Only one can melee you at a time, but in ranged combat, they'd magically start dealing more damage. I guess the DC drops a bit, but it's kind of wonky. Still, I'm nervous about doubling the damage with every size increase.
My creations

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:57:25 AM »
Well, power is exponential or quadratic in most cases, so having an exponential damage increase might not be too bad.  Especially since the other aspects go up closer to linearly or quadratically.

For size: I was trying to address the using different sized creatures issue.  A large mob of 5 medium creatures is not going to be the same size as a large mob of C of F creatures.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »
By definition, all humanoids are of the same type (humanoid). You might want to clarify that bit about what can form a mob.

The example in immunities of Enervation causing negative levels directly contradicts the previous part of the same ability that says it would have to affect at least 50% of the mob (Enervation is a ray so it only affects a single target).

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »
Well, power is exponential or quadratic in most cases, so having an exponential damage increase might not be too bad.  Especially since the other aspects go up closer to linearly or quadratically.

For size: I was trying to address the using different sized creatures issue.  A large mob of 5 medium creatures is not going to be the same size as a large mob of C of F creatures.
Well, that's why I qualify the mobs based on the number therein.

By definition, all humanoids are of the same type (humanoid). You might want to clarify that bit about what can form a mob.

The example in immunities of Enervation causing negative levels directly contradicts the previous part of the same ability that says it would have to affect at least 50% of the mob (Enervation is a ray so it only affects a single target).
I guess energy drained is a condition, isn't it?
My creations