Author Topic: The Illuminator  (Read 2958 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
The Illuminator
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
This class is part of a project I've been working on to convert all casters to spontaneous niche casters.  This is somewhat of a cleric class that specializes in positive energy.  I drew heavily from Quantumboost's White Mage from The Den.

I still haven't gotten all the high level abilities set.  I've been toying around for a while with the idea of simply cutting the top five levels off of every base class and making them 15 levels long.  If I did that, I'd simply move Lingering Siprit down from 17th level to 15th and then I'd be set.

Incidentally, if you can think of a better name, I'm open to ideas. ;) I decided to switch the name to "Illuminator".

Illuminator

Alignment: Any non-evil.

Special: Cannot be undead.

The Illuminator   Hit Die: d6
Level   Base    Fort    Ref     Will    Special
        Attack  Save    Save    Save
        Bonus
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1       +0      +0      +0      +2      Spells, turn undead, channel light, positive energy beam
2       +1      +0      +0      +3      Enhanced healing
3       +1      +1      +1      +3      Purified body, self-sustaining
4       +2      +1      +1      +4      Advanced Learning
5       +2      +1      +1      +4      Chain healing
6       +3      +2      +2      +5   
7       +3      +2      +2      +5      Purified mind
8       +4      +2      +2      +6      Advanced Learning   
9       +4      +3      +3      +6      Purified soul
10      +5      +3      +3      +7     
11      +5      +3      +3      +7      Healing aura
12      +6/+1   +4      +4      +8      Advanced Learning
13      +6/+1   +4      +4      +8      Immediate healing
14      +7/+2   +4      +4      +9   
15      +7/+2   +5      +5      +9     
16      +8/+3   +5      +5      +10     Advanced learning   
17      +8/+3   +5      +5      +10     Lingering spirit
18      +9/+4   +6      +6      +11   
19      +9/+4   +6      +6      +11   
20      +10/+5  +6      +6      +12     Advanced learning

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Heal, Knowledge (Religion), Profession, Sense Motive, and Spellcraft.

Class Features
Your class features focus on advancing your holy powers.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Illuminators are proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Spells: A illuminator casts divine spells which are drawn from the spell list below. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time.  The illuminator automatically knows every spell on his spell list.  To cast a spell of a given level, the illuminator must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a illuminator’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the illuminator’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a illuminator can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is identical to a sorcerer of equal level. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score.

Turn Undead (Su): The illuminator can turn undead as a cleric of equal level.  He does not gain the ability to rebuke undead.

Positive Energy Beam (Su): By spending a turn undead attempt, the illuminator can create a beam of positive energy that heals a living creature within medium range (100’ + 10’ per caster level).  The beam heals 1d6 points of damage per caster level plus the illuminator’s Wisdom modifier (minimum +0).

Channel Light (Sp): A illuminator can cast Searing Light at will as a spell-like ability.  The damage cap for this ability is limited only by his caster level.  So, for example: a 12th level illuminator could use this ability to deal 6d8 damage to a creature, even though the spell normally caps at 5d8.  Note that at 1st level, this does no damage to creatures that aren’t undead.

Enhanced Healing (Ex): As a free action, anytime the illuminator casts a spell of the Healing sub-school, he may apply either the Reach Spell or Empower Spell metamagic feat to the spell without affecting the spell’s casting time or raising the level of the spell slot needed to cast the spell.  The illuminator does not need to have either metamagic feat to use this ability.

Purified Body (Ex): At 3rd level, the illuminator is immune to all diseases, including magical diseases.  In addition, he is treated as a native to positive-energy-dominate planes in regards that he is not harmed by over-exposure to positive energy on these planes; however, he does not gain temporary hit points on these planes either.

Self-Sustaining (Ex): At 3rd level, the illuminator can automatically apply the Silent Spell and Still Spell metamagic feats to any spell of the Healing sub-school or any spell that removes status conditions so long as he chooses himself as the sole target.  He may even opt to do this when unconscious, but not dead. This means that he may take actions (so long as the action is casting an appropriate spell on himself only, as described above) when unconscious during his turn to act on the round.  Any experience or material components are still expended, but the illuminator merely needs to have the components in his possession, and not in hand.  The illuminator does not need to have either metamagic feat to use this ability.

Advanced Learning (Ex): at 4th level, and every four levels thereafter, a illuminator can learn a new spell, adding it permanently to his spell list.  The spell must be from a nine-level spell list and it must be of a level the illuminator can currently cast.  He may select any spell either with the [light] descriptor, of the Healing sub-school, or of the Abjuration school.  Once this spell is picked, it cannot be changed.  This spell is treated as a divine spell, even if it comes from an arcane list.

Chain Healing (Ex): At 5th level, whenever the illuminator casts a spell of the Healing sub-school, he may apply the Chain Spell metamagic feat (Complete Arcane pg 77) without adjusting the spell’s level.  He may affect a number of additional targets equal to his Wisdom modifier.  He does not need to have the Chain Spell feat to use this ability.

Purified Mind (Ex): At 7th level, the illuminator is immune to any [mind-affecting] spell or effect cast by an undead creature, an evil outsider, or a creature with the [evil] sub-type.

Purified Soul (Ex): At 9th level, the illuminator is immune to death-effects, energy drain, and negative energy damage.

Healing Aura (Su): At 11th level, the illuminator can activate a healing aura centered on himself that extends for 30 feet.  All living creatures that begin their turn in the area heal a number of hit points equal to the illuminator’s class level.  Any undead creatures that begin their turn in this area take an equal amount of damage.  The illuminator can start or end this effect as a swift action.

Immediate Healing (Ex): At 13th level, the illuminator can cast any spell of the Healing sub-school as an immediate action, but doing so costs him his standard action for the next round instead of his swift action.

Lingering Spirit (Ex): At 17th level, if the illuminator dies, his spirit lingers in the spot where he died for one minute per class level.  During this time, his spirit may not move, but may take purely mental actions, including using spell-like abilities or casting spells on himself via his Self-Sustaining ability.  This means that it is possible for a illuminator to bring himself back from the dead.

Illuminator Spell List

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:23:22 PM by RobbyPants »
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.