Author Topic: Spellsong Feats  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
Spellsong Feats
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »
Feats

General Feats

Always At Hand
Prerequisites: None
Benefit: The character always has something around that can help with just such a situation. If he spends one round crafting a tool, he can then gain a +2 untyped bonus on his next skill check. The tool then breaks.

Artisanal Creation
Prerequisites: Craft 4
Benefit: When crafting an item, you no longer need to make checks for mundane or masterwork items, and any mundane or masterwork item you craft grants the user a +1 competence bonus on any rolls using the item. However, the time needed to craft the item is 1 hour longer.

Custom Fitment
Prerequisites: Craft 6
Benefit: When crafting an item, you design it for a single individual, tweaking it so that it fits them just so. However, this usually makes it more difficult for anyone else to use. A custom fitted item grants the individual it was designed for a +1 competence bonus on any rolls using the item. Anyone else using the item takes a -1 penalty on all rolls using the item.

Handwright
Prerequisites: Craft 6
Benefit: When you take this feat, select a single category of magical items (using the old crafting feats), such as Rings, or Arms and Armour. When crafting an item from this category, crafting takes only 75% of the normal time, and you pay only 75% of the cost of the item.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time select a new category of magical items.

Spellsong Feats

Blatant Performance [Spellsong]
Prerequisites: Able to use Spellsongs, Obvious Performance
Benefit: Your Spellsongs now have a range of 100' + 25' per point of effect modifier, and can target creatures any distance apart.

Deceptive Art [Spellsong]
Prerequisites: Able to use Spellsongs, one other spellsong feat
Benefit: The spellsinger confuses the target of the spellsong as to what the end result will be. By taking a -10 penalty on her spellsong check, the spellsinger causes the target of the spellsong to have a penalty on the save equal to the spellsinger's charisma modifier.

Easy Performance [Spellsong]
Prerequisites: Spellsong 9 ranks
Benefit: You may maintain Spellsongs with a faster action than normal; instead of normally using a full-round action, you may use a standard action; a move action instead of a standard action, and a swift action instead of a move action.

Editorial Performance [Spellsong]
Prerequisites: Able to use Spellsongs, two other spellsong feats
Benefit: If the spellsinger maintains a spellsong for more than one round, on the second round of maintaining increase the check result by her charisma modifier or half her caster level, whichever is lower.

Final Performance [Spellsong]
Prerequisites: Able to use Spellsongs
Benefit: So long as you are maintaining a Spellsong, you do not go unconscious at negative hit points, and you automatically stabilize at 0 or lower hit points. If you are not maintaining a spellsong at the end of your turn, you immediately fall unconscious. If you are at or below 0 hit points, increase the effect modifier of the spellsong you are maintaining by 2. You still die normally at -10 hit points.

Lingering Performance [Spellsong]
Prerequisites: Spellsong 6 ranks
Benefit: Your Spellsongs linger far after they should have dissipated; the effects of your Spellsongs last for two rounds after you stop maintaining them.

Moral Support [Spellsong]
Benefit: The spellsinger gains a +1 bonus on her spellsong check for every ally within 10 ft.

Obvious Performance [Spellsong]
Benefit: Your Spellsongs now have a range of 100' + 10' per point of effect modifier, and can target creatures up to 60' apart.

Orchestral Performance [Spellsong]
Benefit: The spellsinger draws strength from playing to a crowd, as listed on the table below. She gains a bonus to her spellsong checks based on the number of people in the audience. Members of the audience must be indifferent or better to provide a benefit, and have an intelligence score of at least 8. This does not stack with any use of Aid Another from any listeners.

Audience Bonus
––––––––––––––
1-5      +1   
6-10     +2   
11-20    +3   
21-40    +4   
41-80    +5   
80+      +6     

Practiced Performance [Spellsong]
Benefit: Select a number of Spellsong Effects equal to your intelligence modifier. You gain a bonus on the Spellsong checks to use the selected Spellsong Effects equal to your Intelligence Modifier plus 3.

Reckless Creation [Spellsong]
Benefit: The spellsinger may choose to receive a +10 bonus on her spellsong check, but if so, the targets of her spellsong are determined randomly from all legal creatures.

Two Faced [Spellsong]
Prerequisites: Able to use Spellsongs and cast Divine spells
Benefit: You add one half your Spellsong caster level to your Divine caster level. This cannot increase your Divine caster level above your total class levels.

Voice of the Elements [Spellsong]
Prerequisites: Spellsong 6
Benefit: Whenever you affect a creature with a spellsong that deals elemental damage, they take a penalty for one round based on the type of the element. Acid they take a -1 penalty to AC, Cold a -1 penalty to Fortitude saves, Electrical a -1 penalty to Will saves, Fire a -1 penalty to attack rolls, and Sonic a -1 penalty to Reflex saves. These penalties apply after any saves required by the spellsong.

Racial Feats

Focus on the Challenge
Prerequisites: Chanwyr race
Benefit: The benefit from his Daily Challenge racial feature is increased by +1.

Talent Surge
Prerequisites: Chanwyr race
Benefit: A number of times per day equal to his Intelligence modifier, a Chanwyr can treat a single additional skill as if it were affected by his Talented racial ability. This benefit lasts for one minute.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:48:27 AM by Stratovarius »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Spellsong Feats
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
Blatant Performance - How far apart can the creatures be? Next step is usually 60 ft, for things like Horrid Wilting.

Final Performance - What happens if you get hit hard enough to die?

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
Blatant Performance - How far apart can the creatures be? Next step is usually 60 ft, for things like Horrid Wilting.

Final Performance - What happens if you get hit hard enough to die?
Fixed, 60'. Changed to Obvious Performance, new Blatant Performance allows Long range, and any creatures in range.

You still die at -10 or less hit points.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:09:59 PM »
Might want to consider one or two feats that get bonuses from expending uses of bardic music. Going to be an obvious MC choice.

Otherwise, nice work :)

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
Might want to consider one or two feats that get bonuses from expending uses of bardic music. Going to be an obvious MC choice.

Otherwise, nice work :)
I may not have noticed that Bardic Music was still a thing in the setting, and thereby ignored it when making these.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
Gallant class feature. There's some feats around it too in the Arhosa feat thread.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
Gallant class feature. There's some feats around it too in the Arhosa feat thread.
Ah, yeah, I haven't read Gallant.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
Metasong Effects are now added.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
Going through them:
Energy Sub isn't necessary, since you've got all 5 elements. Or will. And I'd like to keep the 50/50 split of elements in the songs.
Admixture I'd get rid of, since it just breaks the damage by level balance.
Refrain - I'd have it have the same metasong effects on both.
of Divinity - Not sure about this one. Doesn't really fit the deity in question, and none of them actually have alignments. They just represent facets of the world.

Otherwise, looks good.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
More additions and thoughts:

Remove Quicken. Using it with Refrain could get silly in a hurry. It'd be possible to have 6 songs going at once because of Quicken + Refrain.
Add in Maximize.

Also, here's the list of all metamagic feats in D&D. See if there's any others that would work, because if there are, I'll port across to Spell Seeds as well, and maybe some other systems.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 03:05:24 PM »
Going through them:
Energy Sub isn't necessary, since you've got all 5 elements. Or will. And I'd like to keep the 50/50 split of elements in the songs.
Admixture I'd get rid of, since it just breaks the damage by level balance.
Refrain - I'd have it have the same metasong effects on both.
of Divinity - Not sure about this one. Doesn't really fit the deity in question, and none of them actually have alignments. They just represent facets of the world.

Otherwise, looks good.
Mmn, good points on both (sub + admix).
Absolutely.
That was the conversion of Consecrate / Defile spell (the 50% divine damage ones), so nevermind, it's gone.

Bye-bye, Quicken.

I was using that list, and skipped past many because of them not seeming to work well.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
Even if it's just the basics, that's a good place to start.

What do you want to tackle next? Looks like I've got some balance fun to play with.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:43:16 PM »
Even if it's just the basics, that's a good place to start.

What do you want to tackle next? Looks like I've got some balance fun to play with.
Hm, I've got to do the Bardic-Music related feats, and then I'll convert over the Bard spell list. I've got a school-enforced pseudo-ditch-day tomorrow (we're just all on the football field all day) so I'll just open up or download the Spell Book and convert the entire bard list to Songs, then let you balance them.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »
Make sure to snag a few other though - Spellsong is mostly based on a series of L.E. Modesitt, and it's used there do things up to and including nuke towns and other large scale destruction.

So bard stuff is about half appropriate. There's a lot of direct damage involved as well.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 11:14:38 PM »
Make sure to snag a few other though - Spellsong is mostly based on a series of L.E. Modesitt, and it's used there do things up to and including nuke towns and other large scale destruction.

So bard stuff is about half appropriate. There's a lot of direct damage involved as well.

If I'm being ambitious, I'll move on to the school of Evocation once I'm done with Bard. Then maybe Enchantment. Oh god, I'm gonna die. Why did I agree to this? Hypothetical question. Because I love this system, of course.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
You don't need every effect - remember that the way Spellsong is constructed negates the need for things like Fireball, Iceball, Lightning Bolt, etc.

Plus, custom effects make a magic system more unique. Things like below:

Wanderer O'er the Hills: The target is loses all actions except his move action, and uses his move action to wander in a random direction. He avoids any movement that would generate an Attack of Opportunity. Will negates. (Target also sleeps with best friend's wife).

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
You don't need every effect - remember that the way Spellsong is constructed negates the need for things like Fireball, Iceball, Lightning Bolt, etc.

Plus, custom effects make a magic system more unique. Things like below:

Wanderer O'er the Hills: The target is loses all actions except his move action, and uses his move action to wander in a random direction. He avoids any movement that would generate an Attack of Opportunity. Will negates. (Target also sleeps with best friend's wife).
Valid point! Still. I'll see what I can do.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »
From what I remember from the books, Evocation and Enchantment are the two most appropriate schools. Not so sure on the others, but it's been a while, so my memory is decidedly spotty.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
Trying to come up with something (or a chain of somethings) around the idea of group performances (think circle magic). Something like this:

Orchestral Performance [Spellsong]
Benefit: The spellsinger can be assisted in her performance by a number of people equal to her Charisma modifier. For every performer assisting in this way, she receives a +2 benefit on the final spellsong check. This benefit does not stack with Aid Another benefits from the performers.

Random feat:

Always At Hand
Prerequisites: None
Benefit: The character always has something around that can help with just such a situation. If he spends one minute creating a tool, he can then gain a +2 bonus on his next skill check. The tool then breaks.

And another:

Deceptive Art [Spellsong]
Benefit: The spellsinger confuses the target of the spellsong as to what the end result will be. By taking a -10 penalty on her spellsong check, the spellsinger causes the target of the spellsong to have a penalty on the save equal to the spellsinger's charisma modifier.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:26:27 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 03:43:50 PM »
What's the point of Always at Hand? Can't you get the same benefit from just using Aid Another?